This delicious recipe for the Easiest Slow Cooker Christmas Ham will pretty much look after itself, allowing you to get on with the last of your Christmas shopping or entertaining friends and family.
For the ham:
- 4-5 Lb. Ham
- 1 white onion
- 3 cups apple juice
- 10 black peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
For the ham glaze:
- handful of whole cloves
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sugar (I used coconut sugar but brown sugar would work well too)
- ½ tsp all spice
- Cut the onion in half and place both pieces on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sit the ham on top of the onions, fat side up. This will prevent it sticking as it cooks. Pour in the apple juice and add the peppercorns, cloves, star anise and bay leaves. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, depending on how crumbly you want your ham to be.
- When the ham has cooked remove it from the slow cooker and rest it on a plate for a few minutes to allow the liquid to drain away. Preheat the oven to 425F and double line a baking tin with foil (don’t skip this as the honey glaze will burn into your baking tray and it’s a nightmare to get off!)
- Transfer the ham to the lined tray. Remove the skin with a sharp knife leaving a layer of fat on top. Score the fat and stud it with whole cloves.
- Make the glaze by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl. Pour half the glaze onto the fatty part of the ham, spreading it around until the top is fully covered.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, adding the remaining glaze half way through.
- Allow the ham to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.