The perfect little treat to serve up on Christmas. And these Christmas Tree Meringues are better for you than cookies, so you don’t have to feel bad when you eat more than one!
- 4 Egg Whites, medium
- 100g Icing sugar
- 100g Caster sugar
- ¼ tsp Cream of Tartar
- Green food colouring
- Sprinkles, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 100C.
- Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and using a hand whisk, whisk until the egg white start to stiffen, about 3 minutes.
- Alternatively, whisk the egg whites with a stand mixer, on medium, with a balloon whisk attachment, for about 3 minutes until the egg white starts to stiffen.
- Add a tablespoon of icing sugar and whisk for 2-3 seconds.
- Add a tablespoon caster sugar and whisk for 2-3 seconds.
- Repeat adding the icing and caster sugar until all combined.
- Add the cream of tartar and the green food colouring. Add more colouring until you get the colour you would like.
- Whisk until the egg whites are glossy and form stiff peaks, about 4-5 minutes.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle with the meringue.
- Pipe the meringue in a swirl shape onto the baking parchment.
- Scatter any sprinkle decorations over the meringue swirls.
- Bake at 100C for 60-90 minutes.
- Allow the meringues to cool on a wire rack.
- Decorate with edible glitter, edible lustre spray or icing sugar and stars.
– The meringues can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, or can be frozen for up to one month.
– Add a 2 tsp peppermint extract, or 2 tsp ground ginger and ½tsp mixed spice, for a festive flavour.